About Me

My photo
New homeowner in Black Rock, Buffalo NY. Bachelors in art ed, masters in social studies/ special ed, job where I use neither. Addiction to thrifting, tights/leggings, boots, VHS tapes and liquid eyeliner. Enjoy painting, drawing and occasionally some chalk on the sidewalk. Love de- and reconstructing clothes, knitting, making jewelry and experimenting with fun eye makeup and hair color changes. Love the outdoors, learning to garden, practicing composter. Obsessed with greening up my life but not a preachy, pretentious jerk about the subject (maybe a bit pushy on the recycling thing *cough*). Loads of interests, small circle of friends, always looking for more of both. My fashion is influenced by street style, movies, comics, and my imagination.

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Outfit Post #1 work clothes

So, corporate jobs are supposed to be the great, repressive evil when it comes to alternative style. However, as I don't deal directly with customers, and have ample warning when they are coming to visit, I have a LOT of freedom at my current brokerage job. My new boss may even *gasp* let me have a nose ring, which does not violate company policy but was against the rules of my previous department manager. I've wanted one since the first time as a small child I read the 70's culture book Let's Travel in India and saw a picture of an AMAZING hoop-with-chain-to-ear nose ring on a traditionally attired lady celebrating Devali (aka Diwali). My Baptist parents were incredibly anti-piercing. After home I was in teacher training at college and then an actual teacher and a manager at several non-teaching jobs, all of which denied me said nose ring. Now I'm nearly 30 and fighting to have something many 16 year olds get without question these days. *sigh* Anyway....back to my work clothes. Here are two examples of outfits I've worn to work this week.























The first outfit is a classic example of my obsession with stretch pants... wait we call them leggings now. Since I gained about 50 pounds in the last four years they have become my new best friend. For this outfit - geisha style sweater top $3, teal shirt dress $4, black strappy boots $4, necklaces $2 each,all from Amvets thrift store. Leggings $5 at some teeny bopper store, argyle socks $3 at Target. Make-up - Hard Candy liquid eyeshadow in turquoise with Urban Decay liquid liner in Perversion, lipgloss from the weave store (yup, I heart the weave store in my somewhat ghetto 'hood - it has loads of cheap hair accessories, jewelry and the most fabulously shiny lipgloss - no I don't have extensions so don't try to pull my underlayer like a lady at work did). The gemstones are actually stick on scrapbook decals that were $1 for about 50. I've been using them like this for years with no signs of skin irritation and they are so sticky you can put them back on the plastic they came on and reuse them again and again. Total outfit cost, minus make up and underclothes, $24.

  




















This is a common look for me. I think of it as anime punk schoolgirl I suppose. I just started noticing more of my outfits taking on this spin. Tie $1, dress $3, shirt (all one piece) $3, combat boots $4 - all Amvets. Tights $3 (mall store?), ring $4 in a Boston botique, vegan leather with stars bracelet $2, white bracelet a gift. Barrette is mine from childhood. Outfit total - $20


                                              
Also, I hate the picture capabilities of this site. My pictures all look smooshed and it's a b+tch to get them to format correctly with the text. If anyone has any suggestions on this please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment