About Me

My photo
New homeowner in Black Rock, Buffalo NY. Bachelors in art ed, masters in social studies/ special ed, job where I use neither. Addiction to thrifting, tights/leggings, boots, VHS tapes and liquid eyeliner. Enjoy painting, drawing and occasionally some chalk on the sidewalk. Love de- and reconstructing clothes, knitting, making jewelry and experimenting with fun eye makeup and hair color changes. Love the outdoors, learning to garden, practicing composter. Obsessed with greening up my life but not a preachy, pretentious jerk about the subject (maybe a bit pushy on the recycling thing *cough*). Loads of interests, small circle of friends, always looking for more of both. My fashion is influenced by street style, movies, comics, and my imagination.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Moonqueen's Top 10 Fashion Gifts/Deals of the Holiday Season

 




Alright. I'm bored at work. I like fashion. I have a computer handy. Therefore I'm compiling a list of my top ten fashion gifts (received) or deals of the holiday season. Shameless consumerism, go!

10. electric blue cable knit hat w brim (similar to left) 60% off at Old Navy  

9. electric blue metallic pyramid ring, received as a gift from my best friend, similar to these at the right (want...one...in...every...color...)


8.Purple faux suede faux-fur lined boots (all sorts of fake animal parts in there), 75% off at Old Navy, a dustier purple than shown below. I have one pair of purple boots already I really enjoy using to liven up a more black/neutral based outfit so...why not two? These are also toastier than my non-faux fur lined ones.

Cherokee® Boys Long-Sleeve Footed Sleeper - Black.Opens in a new window

7. Skully feety pajamas (exactly as shown above and sadly, as they are childrens ones these don't quite fit, but fingers crossed they will shortly - if not, fabric for a hoody); present from my friend Chris. These are super soft fleece with grippy circles on the feet. Slumber party!

6. EcoTools eye make up brush set - after a serious amount of research I was seconds away from buying these with an amazon gift card I got for my birthday, then decided to be practical and use the gift card towards xmas presents. Made of largely recycled or sustainable materials with cruelty free (non-animal) bristles these are not only space saving and come in a convenient hemp pouch but are also labelled for their intended purpose (shade, blend, etc). A friend who had ran out of xmas ideas asked me to throw a few things out there and not only did he get me the set....he got me two.  

5. Gray and silver sweater boots, 75% off at Old Navy - gray with silver accents, black buttons and trim. I have an addiction for knit, shiny stuff and boots. hese are PERFECT. Comfortable, warm, casual and funky...I spotted a similar pair on a friend's niece and was shocked to learn they came from Old Navy. I wound up picking up several other cute items (as seen above) while I ran in to get these as they had an amazing sale on winter accessories. I try to avoid buying much new, as I find it wasteful and expensive versus thrifting/yardsale-ing/etc, but I've wanted a pair of these for a LONG time and never spied any at local thrift stores. I paid a measly $23 for two pairs of boots and a heavy knit hat, with tax included.

Vegan Palette - 100% vegan make-up
4. Urban Decay make up sale -I <3 the above palette. The shadows are smooth and richly pigmented. The packaging is ADORABLE. The same can be said of the awesome, but not vegan, Book of Shadows IV. Purchased together on sale for $60 with free shipping, compared to the $100 plus they cost originally.  
Book of Shadows IV - shadow, mascara, primer, liner and a speaker,holder and scan cards for your smart phone to watch make up tip videos online.

 3. Tokidoki Makeup Bag (I got the cylindrical one, shown sticking out farthest on the left). My boyfriend, who is an AWESOME present buyer, scored me one of these. I love the attention to detail in the design, from the pattern itself to the charm adorning the zipper pull and stitched on vinyl heart and crossbones logo. It is also a very heavy duty fabric and a great size to take all the basics - shadow palette, brushes, eyeliner, mascara, lipgloss, small perfume and deoderant - in your overnight bag.


2. H & M gift card - Thank you boyfriend's parents! $40 got me two pairs of knit mittens (navy blue and gray fleece lined), two large, gaudy rings, fingerless knit gauntlets in dark orange with threads of brown and black, heavy knit grey/white/black variegated socks, and a distressed look black racer back tank top with snap accents. That's right, I'm even thrifty with other people's money.

1. Multi colored houndstoothed vintage 60's coat
Mid-calf, full sleeved double breasted overcoat in oversized houndstooth with red fading to orange on black. I scored this for $25 (talked the seller down from $45) at a local vintage and artisans xmas market. Nothing beats the fit and quality of a vintage overcoat and the colors and pattern are very unique. It was in excellent condition, aside from a small section of the lining that had come unstitched at the neckline. This is the closest coat I could find to the style. Pictures WILL be posted!!!

4 comments:

  1. Cute stuff in your pictures. I left a reply for your questions on my last blog post. Thanks for taking the time to ask questions.

    Very Respectfully,
    Mal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to be your first follower. I will answer your reply tomorrow. I personally love your thinking, questioning, and frank discussion. Nothing you said upset me and if anything I said feels like a slight. I apologize in advance; for I do not have a TACT button & frequently step on toes. Comes from the military and home upbringing.

    Again thanks for stopping by,
    I will answer tomorrow.
    Mal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Haul! Are the EcoTools brushes nice? I've seen their products around, but was unsure if they were worth what they seemed. I adore urban decay's shadows, but they're so out of my guilt-free price range. All of this looks great.
    Sincerely, Boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the quality of the ecotools brushes (combined with the green/user friendly aspects) are nice. The problem I've found is they are largely not firm brushes, making them poorly suited to heavy application and lining. I find they are better for more natural shading, but admittedly I haven't experimented with them much. I have stuck to using an eyeshadow applicator wand for the bold color application I like. If you can pick up one of those UD vegan pallettes on eBay I HIGHLY recommend it. The grey and dark brown are my go-to smokey eye shades right now; I adore the sparkly turquoise. They are some of the silkiest, most pigmented shadows I've used. I tend to only buy UD liner regularly and request other make up from friends for holidays, but the 2 pallettes were such a good deal.

      Delete