About Me

My photo
New homeowner in Black Rock, Buffalo NY. Bachelors in art ed, masters in social studies/ special ed, job where I use neither. Addiction to thrifting, tights/leggings, boots, VHS tapes and liquid eyeliner. Enjoy painting, drawing and occasionally some chalk on the sidewalk. Love de- and reconstructing clothes, knitting, making jewelry and experimenting with fun eye makeup and hair color changes. Love the outdoors, learning to garden, practicing composter. Obsessed with greening up my life but not a preachy, pretentious jerk about the subject (maybe a bit pushy on the recycling thing *cough*). Loads of interests, small circle of friends, always looking for more of both. My fashion is influenced by street style, movies, comics, and my imagination.

Friday, December 23, 2011

Getting off the ground...

Hello there folks in Google land. I am just getting this self-indulgent fashion and lifestyle blog off the ground because... why not? If frumpy girls in mismatched, unflattering clothes with oversized glasses can populate the 'net with blogs by the thousands about their style so can I! Seriously...one more photo...of a girl...in high waisted...peg legged...tan pants...and some boring top... that is supposed to be cute... just because it's vintage designer (insert name here)... and I'll go...crazy. Sorry, I was hyperventilating with internet-repetition rage. This is a syndrome I've developed by which I become increasingly angry with how narrow what the internet offers is despite the breadth of its reach, but I digress. Back to fashion. I'm a menagerie of influences and it’s very hard to describe my style with a short concise label, so I’ll throw out some famous names to aid the process - think of me as Ramona Flowers, Clementine Kruczynski, Frankie Page and Lisbeth Salander all rolled into one with two huge scoops of thrift store addiction. I plan to shamelessly promote Buffalo, the three R's (reduce, reuse, recycle), and the return of chunky heeled footwear. I’m interested in discussing not just the evolution of my personal style but also style related issues (gender, aesthetics) and possibly even some photos/interviews with people I find of fashionable interest. This blog is dedicated to my best friend and thrifting partner, Jeremy, who taught a little goth girl the value of color.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting! I'd *love* to see more discussion of fashion in relation to feminism and gender identity issues. I'll keep a watch on your blog!

    And yes, I feel you on the monotony front. I feel like a lot of fashion blogs are a bit soulless - it's nice to come across people who are truly creative with aesthetics and styling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the interest! Your style is adorable.

    ReplyDelete